(about 6-12 years)
Pre-requisite: Pass Level 2 or demonstrated competency in Level 2 skills. All children entering Level 3 must be comfortable in deep water over their head,and must be able to swim 15 feet using front crawl with rhythmic breathing.
Builds on the skills in Level 2 through additional guided practice in deeper water.
• Enter water by jumping from the side, fully submerge then recover to the surface and return to the side
• Headfirst entries from the side in sitting and kneeling positions
• Bobbing while moving toward safety
• Rotary breathing
• Back float
• Survival float
• Change from vertical to horizontal position on front and back
• Tread water
• Flutter and dolphin kicks on front
• Scissors and breaststroke kicks
• Front crawl and elementary backstroke
• Plus age-appropriate water safety topics